This chocolate malt is a classic remake of one of my favorite desserts that I used to enjoy as a child. Vegan + Sugar-Free Superfood Chocolate Malt is dairy and sugar-free, packed with heart-healthy benefits, and includes naturally energizing ingredients with a rich chocolate flavor and a super creamy texture!
I have always had a thing for chocolate malts.
And chocolate malted milk balls. And anything chocolate for that matter!
In all seriousness, though, chocolate malts and malted milk balls were two of my childhood favorites when it came to treats. I have made more chocolate malt shakes than I can count during a high school job I had at a soda fountain in the town I grew up in, and I could down a box of Whoppers like nobody’s business during my teens.
In case you don’t know what malt actually is, malt flavor is just made from barley malt, which is a sweetener derived from barley grain. It’s also used to make beer and give it that rich, slightly sweet flavor. Regular barley malt sweetener is often added to chocolate desserts (such as in malted milk balls or shakes) because it gives them that unique, creamy, milky, and slightly sweet flavor that make them unlike anything else.
While that sounds innocent enough (unless you’re celiac and a gluten-free eater in which case you can’t have barley since it contains gluten), sadly, most malted chocolate products are packed with sugar, dairy milk that is loaded with hormones, and a host of chemical-based ingredients that you can’t even pronounce.
We don’t need all that to enjoy a chocolate dessert, now do we?!
Thanks to the combination of a few healthy foods and some special superfoods you likely have at home or can find at your local health food store, you can create the same chocolate malt flavor right in your own kitchen. I promise it’s easy … and it’s gluten-free, vegan, and sugar-free too!
Alright, so how do we make this? Simple!
First, you’ll need some raw cacao and cocoa powder for the chocolate. I prefer to use both raw cacao and dark cocoa in this recipe because they each have different types of chocolate flavor that create a richer, more well-rounded flavor in the final chocolate malt recipe.
Maca is a superfood that is made from the maca root found in Peru that has a natural, butterscotch-like flavor which pairs perfectly with cacao.
For the rest of the recipe, I’m using some of my other favorite ingredients…
- NuNaturals alcohol-free vanilla liquid stevia to sweeten it up without sugar or chemical sweeteners
- Nutiva raw coconut butter (coconut manna) to give it a little richness without oil or dairy
- Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk to make it super creamy without the milk
- and Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal in the raw cacao flavor to make it more filling and nutritious! (This is an optional ingredient if you want to make yours without it at home, but I love this product to no end and highly recommend it!)
Speaking of Garden of Life’s Raw Organic Meal, this is hands down the best raw, plant-based, vegan, non-GMO and organic meal replacement/protein and superfood combo on the market you’re going to find. RAW Organic Meal combines plant-based protein with probiotics, greens, superfoods, flax and chia, and it has no fillers, added sugar, artificial ingredients, or hard-to-digest fibers. It’s also a great source of food-based vitamins and minerals as well.
No junk here!
I love all the different protein products that Garden of Life offers, but I definitely think this one is my number one favorite. And even though using RAW Organic Meal is optional for this recipe, I highly recommend it if you’re looking to try something similar to use in your home without sugar, gluten, animal products, or strange additives.
It also makes this Vegan + Superfood Chocolate Malt that much more creamy, tasty, and filling too!
Now, let’s get to the recipe, I’m hungry—aren’t you!? 🙂
- 2 cups of ice
- 1 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk - I used Silk unsweetened vanilla almond
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao - I used Navitas Naturals brand
- 1 tablespoon of dark (Dutch-processed) cocoa powder - I used NuNaturals brand
- 2 full drops of liquid stevia, I used vanilla and alcohol-free stevia by NuNaturals
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon of raw coconut butter (Nutiva brand used here) - or you can use almond or cashew butter
- (optional): 1/2 scoop - 1 full scoop chocolate plant-based meal replacement/protein shake powder - I used Garden of Life RAW Organic Meal in the cacao flavor
- 1 cup filtered water
- Add all the ingredients to a blender in the order listed. Blend on low, then progress to high.
- If you need to add more water (which you may if you don't have a high-speed blender), only add 2 tablespoons more at a time so it's doesn't end up too watery.
- Be sure to blend for at least enough time to ensure the coconut butter (or almond or cashew butter if you don't use coconut) and ice completely emulsify and create a thick, frosty consistency.
- When the malt is blended to a frosty consistency, pour into a mason jar, freeze for 5-10 minutes to get it extra cold and enjoy!
- * If you do not have a chocolate flavored meal replacement shake or protein shake, you can use a vanilla flavor or just omit it, but you may want to reduce the water just a bit since the powder will thicken up the entire recipe a bit more.
- * If you do not have raw cacao powder, regular cocoa powder would work but I would only use 2 tablespoons total of cocoa powder since it's richer in flavor than raw cacao.
- * If you do not like stevia, use whatever sweetener you prefer or 1/2 frozen banana or a date.
Have you ever made your own healthy chocolate malts at home or tried maca?
What’s your favorite way to use cacao to make healthy desserts?
See More Healthy Recipes With Maca Below: