Pumpkin Spice Protein Mochaccino is rich, creamy, and tastes just like traditional coffeehouse drinks that contain a punch of pumpkin and a hint of fall spices. Instead of heavy cream, milk, and sugar, this vegan recipe includes healthier alternatives that provide the same texture and taste without the extra calories or unhealthy attributes.
Oh gracious, guys. This recipe is, yes, yet another pumpkin recipe I just have to share. I realize pumpkin is everywhere this time of year, but it’s actually a staple in my kitchen year round.
I actually eat pumpkin every single day because it’s one of my favorite foods for great skin, it’s a great source of iron, and it’s also great for digestion too. Plus, I’m always looking for new ways to use pumpkin, so I enjoy seeing new recipes created by others all over the web this time of year.
Pumpkin isn’t only great for baking, it’s also great for blended drinks like smoothies and shakes. It adds a nice, thick texture and makes for such a satisfying treat!
I also LOVE all things mocha. Chocolate and coffee together? Now, that is hard to beat!
But adding pumpkin to the mix? I’m sold!
Speaking of which, I know many people love the pumpkin spice drinks that are sold in coffeehouses this time of year. And while Starbucks has taken a HUGE leap in their steps towards providing customers with better options by providing stevia packets and almond milk versus sugar and dairy milk, I still think we ought to get creative in the kitchen and try to whip up versions of our own.
That’s what happened with this recipe I’m sharing today.
Sweet, creamy, a hint of spiciness, and just the right touch of mocha flavor makes this drink sing, let me tell you. I used my very favorite coffee-flavored plant-based protein powder in this recipe which is packed with not just an authentic mocha flavor but also tons of plant-based nutrition made only from REAL food. It seriously tastes incredible!
However, if you don’t have a mocha or coffee flavored protein powder on hand, don’t worry; you can use a vanilla or chocolate flavored plant-based protein and add some instant coffee powder instead.
But the absolute best part about this recipe is there’s no sugar, oil, or funny ingredients that you can’t pronounce.
Plus, it contains protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber, alkalizing ingredients to balance your body’s pH, and a small boost of caffeine to put some pep in your step too! 🙂
- 1 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk (unsweetened almond vanilla or unsweetened cashew vanilla works well)
- 2 tbsp. pure pumpkin purée
- 1 scoop coffee-flavored or mocha-flavored plant-based protein powder* (see notes for substitutions)
- 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. pure stevia extract (or liquid)
- ¼ a ripe banana (frozen is great)
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla bean powder or 1 teaspoon of alcohol-free vanilla extract
- dash of pumpkin pie spice (about ⅛ tsp.)
- ½ cup of ice
- a drizzle of almond butter for the topping
- optional: an extra dash of cinnamon
- Add the non-dairy milk, plant-based protein powder, cocoa powder, stevia extract (or liquid), vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, banana, and the ice to a blender.
- Blend on low, then progress to high until thick and creamy.
- Serve in a glass with a drizzle with almond butter (and extra cinnamon if desired).
Do you make your own versions of pumpkin coffeehouse drinks at home?