Pumpkin Pecan Coconut Yogurt Parfait is inspired by one of the very first recipes I made in my kitchen when I started eating more natural, whole foods. Featuring dairy-free coconut yogurt, organic pumpkin, and organic raw pecans, this parfait can be whipped up in minutes and is perfect for a snack or dessert!
Hi there, friends!
If you’re like me, you didn’t start out making gourmet recipes or performing fancy techniques in the kitchen.
In fact, if I’m being honest, I used the microwave a good bit in my very earliest cooking days in my later teens and hardly ever used the stove. And although I loved to play in the kitchen with my mom as a child, I can’t ever say I really learned to cook until I was 19 years old and had to start eating healthier.
Then around age 20, I realized how much I loved easy-to-make recipes, primarily those that didn’t require much time to prepare or require fussy ingredients. And although I’ve branched out a good bit over the last 12 years as I’ve learned more about food and health, I still aim to make all my recipes very simple and without gourmet techniques.
What can I say? It’s in my roots! 🙂
This decadent and dreamy recipe isn’t just nice on the eyes; it’s also high in vitamin A to nourish your skin, it’s packed with fiber and prebiotics that are also gentle on your digestive system but will nourish it at the same time.
Plus, this recipe is free of added sugars, so you won’t have to worry about the negative effects that the ingredients can have on good bacteria levels in the body. In fact, coconut and pumpkin are two of my favorite foods for great skin and a healthy gut!
Plus, this parfait is silky smooth, fluffy, and super decadent while still being good for you too!
In this recipe, I’m using the unsweetened variety of So Delicious cultured coconut (dairy-free yogurt) which is one of my favorite options for unsweetened and organic alternative yogurt products.
I’ve also added two of my very favorite seasonal fall foods: pure organic pumpkin and pecans!
Fun Fact: I used to pick pecans right out of the shells from the ones that would fall outside a huge pecan tree we had at our old house for seasonal recipes. I remember thinking it was so neat and always loved how fresh they smelled right out of the shell.
Pecans have always been one of my favorite types of healthy fats to enjoy ever since, especially in the fall season where their flavor just shines in recipes like this.
Did you know?
Pecans are one of the best foods for your hair, nails, and skin. They also contain protein and mood-boosting minerals including magnesium, manganese, potassium and even B vitamins such as biotin.
Pumpkin is a natural source of iron boasting 15% of your daily needs per cup; the seeds have even more!
Oh, and I should also mention that this recipe has a special touch of magic with the use of pumpkin pie spice and vanilla bean powder which is one of the oldest aphrodisiacs out there—just saying! 🙂
So you can cozy up to this parfait with the reassurance that your body and brain will feel good eating it at the same time.
How to Make It:
All this recipe takes is a few seconds of blending, then layering the ingredients in a parfait glass or jar. It makes a little more than one serving, so be sure you’re hungry or store the leftovers for later as noted in the recipe directions.
I chose to sweeten this recipe with NuNaturals pure stevia extract to keep the sugar down without using artificial sweeteners, but you can use another natural, unrefined sweetener if you prefer and don’t have issues with sugar. Lastly, all you need is a bit of pumpkin pie spice, vanilla bean powder or extract—along with a touch of love—and you’ve got a healthy recipe that you can whip up in just minutes!
- 1 small container of unsweetened coconut yogurt (or you can use homemade if you prefer)
- 1 15-ounce can of plain organic pumpkin purée (I prefer Farmer's Market brand which has BPA-free lining)
- 1/4 tsp. pure stevia extract (without fillers)*
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla bean powder or 1/2 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla bean extract
- 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp. of raw pecans*
- unsweetened shredded coconut and raw pumpkin seeds to garnish
- In a blender, add the yogurt and pumpkin purée.
- Next, add the vanilla, stevia, and 1/8 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice.
- Purée the mixture on low speed (1-2) for 15-20 seconds to make sure it whips up nice and fluffy.
- Add a little of the mixture into a parfait glass, about 1/3 full. Then add a dash of pumpkin pie spice and crush a few of the pecans to add on top. Sprinkle this later with a little coconut and pumpkin seeds if using.
- Repeat this two more times until the parfait glass is full.
- Top the final layer with the rest of the pecans, and some coconut and pumpkin seeds for a pretty garnish.
- Serve immediately, or freeze for up to 15-20 minutes to make it extra chilled and frosty.
- Store leftovers in a glass dish for other recipes or you can freeze the leftovers into an ice cube tray to use in smoothies.
- *If you don't enjoy using stevia, feel free to use another natural sweetener, although that will change the sugar contents of the recipe. You can also use monk fruit sweetener if you'd like a stevia alternative. Be sure to choose pure stevia extract, not those at the store with fillers and additives. You can also use 1 small drop of liquid stevia if you prefer.
- *If you have a nut allergy, feel free to just use pumpkin seeds or coconut!
- Serves: 1-2
- Yields: About 2 Cups
I recommend just storing any leftovers you may have for the pumpkin coconut yogurt base in a well-sealed container (such as a Pyrex glass dish) and keeping it in the fridge where it will last for up to four to five days. Or, you can freeze it into ice cubes and add those to smoothies!
Alright, now I want to hear what your favorite fall recipe is and what some of your favorite cooking memories are. I love hearing how other people came to fall in love with being in the kitchen and would love to hear your story too.
What’s your favorite fall recipe or your favorite culinary memory?