Pretty in Pink Superfood Smoothie is packed with vitamins and minerals, has a natural sweetness and protein, healthy fats, and it’s the perfect way to brighten up any day! Make it for breakfast, or enjoy it for your next snack or dessert!
When I was a little girl, I had an instant love for all things pink. I know, I know—so typical, right? My eyes were always drawn towards bright and beautiful things, especially when it came to food. Anything with sprinkles was always a go, donuts or cookies with pink icing set my heart afire, but what really got me excited were ice cream creations and smoothie concoctions bright in color.
My approach to food has changed dramatically since I was a child, but I still love enjoying and creating beautiful recipes that taste fantastic. And, I’m still in love with fabulous blender creations—to say the least!
Speaking of blender goodness, this Pretty in Pink Pitaya Superfood Smoothie has both beauty and taste going for it thanks to the use of pitaya smoothie packs.
Pitaya, what? While some of you may know it under this name, others of you might know the exotic fruit as dragon fruit. Dragon fruit is rich in several minerals like manganese and magnesium, it’s a good source of Vitamin C and fiber, and it’s sold here in the states as smoothie packs just like acai packs. I like the Pitaya Plus brand which is available at my local Whole Foods, but you can find pitaya in other health food stores across the country too (or request your store to carry it).
If you get a chance to try pitaya, you’ll fall in love with its subtle sweetness and gorgeous glowing color. It tastes a little like a pear with a bit of a tangy touch, and I especially love that pitaya is low-glycemic so it won’t spike your blood sugar levels.
For a boost of chocolate goodness, I added raw cacao powder which is one of my favorite secret beauty foods that’s also fantastic for focus, mood, and healthy blood pressure levels. And to add some thickness to this Pretty in Pink Superfood Smoothie, I included a teaspoon of chia seeds which are amazing little seeds for the skin, mood, digestive system, and the heart.
Chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 fats, along with amino acids and fiber. For a creamier texture, I used a base of plain, unsweetened coconut yogurt and non-dairy milk instead of water. You can add in more greens (such as spinach) than I’ve included if you’d like to boost the nutrition even further, but it will change the color a bit.. just so ya’ know! 🙂
- 1 pack of Pitaya Plus (dragonfruit smoothie packs)*
- 1 small container of plain (unsweetened) coconut yogurt (soy or almond would also work great!)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup non-dairy milk - I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup spinach or kale
- 1/3 cup frozen berries
- 1 full drop of alcohol-free stevia if you'd like more sweetness
- Add all the ingredients to your blender in the order listed, and then blend on low then high for at least a minute.
- Then let it sit for a minute, add 5-6 ice cubes, and blend again for a thicker, frostier smoothie.
- Scrape/pour into your favorite glass, and if you want, add some toppings such as cacao nibs and coconut like I used.
- Enjoy, and sip your way to superfood smoothie goodness in minutes!
- *It helps to thaw the Pitaya Plus smoothie packs first, or just run the package under warm water for a few seconds. This will soften the pack so that you can break it up and make the blending process easier. You can find pitaya smoothie packs in the freezer aisle at select health food stores.
For more healthy smoothies, check out my other smoothie recipes.
And tell me, what’s your favorite superfood smoothie ingredients?