This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #allessentials #allsulfatefree #CollectiveBias
This Easy, Homemade Vegan Body Butter is one of the best-smelling, simplest beauty recipes you’ll ever make and it’s also vegan, cruelty-free, and has incredible benefits for your skin and mood!
I never expected to be one of those women who made their own body and beauty products. But not because I don’t admire women who do that, I actually do and always have very much; I simply never thought I’d be interested in it too.
You see, as much as I love creating recipes in the kitchen and being around food in general, I haven’t really ever had an aspiration to create my own beauty or bath products. I just buy the natural, cruelty-free brands at the store (normally whichever one is on sale and smells good) and keep things simple. Nothing wrong with that, I say.
But like so many other things, coconut oil changed all my preconceived notions about natural beauty five years ago when it became the “it” beauty product for whatever we could all think of. And while I may eat an oil-free diet, I keep liberal jars of coconut oil on hand all the time because I use it for everything you can imagine in my skin and beauty routine.
So, a few months ago, I started playing around with how I could use coconut oil combined with other things to make natural skincare products. I was astonished how easy it was, although I shouldn’t have been.
Coconut oil is liquid when heated and hardens back up as it cools, so it has marvelous properties that make it a great ingredient to use for beauty and bath products. While I typically use it mostly for taking off my makeup, shaving my legs, moisturizing my hair, and similar things, I also wanted to see what I could mix with coconut oil to use in my beauty routine.
And that’s when I spotted the raw cacao butter hiding away in my pantry! Within just a couple of minutes, I had a recipe idea in mind and began crafting away in the kitchen.
And today’s recipe, my friends, is the result of my favorite experimentation with coconut oil yet.
But before we get onto how to make it and why you need this amazing Easy, Homemade Vegan Body Butter in your life, let’s talk about why it’s beneficial to even consider making your own natural beauty products.
One reason I started using coconut oil on my skin is because I realized how much better my skin reacted to natural food products on my skin, especially those with just a few ingredients. For instance, raw honey is a great moisturizer, sea salt, oatmeal and coffee are great exfoliants, and the aforementioned coconut oil is a complete do-it-all in the beauty and skincare department.
And ever since I began my wellness journey, I have always felt it’s important to read the ingredient lists on not just what you put in your body, but also what you put on your body.
After all, our skin is the largest organ on our body, and everything that touches our skin gets absorbed into our bloodstream. So if you have sensitivities like I do, then you probably already know that it’s best to choose high-quality products to keep in your home and choose natural beauty and skincare products whenever possible. Or, try making your own, it’s much easier than you might think.
How to Make Easy, Homemade Vegan Body Butter:
Here’s what you need:
Raw virgin coconut oil (preferably organic) – Coconut oil is rich in fats that nourish the skin and it also contains lauric acid which is a component of coconut oil that helps fights bad bacteria. Coconut oil is also a great protector of the skin and is one of the most natural oils you can put on your skin. It also won’t turn rancid at room temperature.
Raw cacao butter (the raw version of cocoa butter) – This is the oil from the cacao bean (where chocolate comes from) and it’s made of saturated fats that will turn to liquid (oil) when heated and harden back up in a firm texture once cooled, just like coconut oil. You can find raw cacao butter online on Amazon and in some health food stores too. Cacao butter is a perfect skin care ingredient to use because it won’t turn rancid at room temperatures and is highly stable, plus it’s rich in antioxidants, it’s filled with fatty acids that nourish and protect the skin, and it’s made of naturally mood-boosting ingredients that make you feel pretty awesome!
A few drops of your favorite essential oil – I used peppermint essential oil because it’s remarkable for alleviating stress, it can help sore muscles, it naturally aids in digestion (if applied to the tummy areas), it’s great for rejuvenation of the body, it helps fight fatigue, and it gives me an instant little mood boost! Choose whatever essential oils you like, though. Rose petal, rosehips, and lavender or geranium would also be lovely!
You’ll also need a mason jar to store it in, I used a 16-ounce one which is the amount that the recipe below will make.
This recipe is so simple and takes no time!
Here’s how to make Easy, Homemade Vegan Body Butter:
1. Gather your ingredients
2. Grab a pot and add in the coconut oil and raw cacao butter. Turn the heat to high and grab a wooden spoon. Stir the entire time it’s melting (this goes quickly). If the cacao butter is in large pieces, just keep stirring; it will break down and melt within a few minutes. I had to slightly “chop” my cacao butter a few times with the spoon as it continued to heat up, but it melted and disintegrated within 3 minutes or so (see photos below).
3. Once you have a consistent liquid, add in the essential oil drops, stir once more, turn the heat off, and remove the pot from the stove. Immediately pour the mixture (be careful, it’s hot!) into the mason jar. It should fill the jar all the way up. Carefully put on the lid and seal it until it’s completely closed.
4. Now it’s time to cool it off so it will set and firm up into a body butter. Grab a towel to handle the jar, then wrap it around the jar so it doesn’t burn your hands, and then transport it to the freezer. Put the jar in the freezer (not touching anything directly and at least 6 inches away from anything in the freezer). It won’t set at room temperature unless it’s really cold where you live because once saturated fats turn to liquid, they need to be cold to firm back up. So leave it in the freezer for one hour (you can remove the towel once you’ve placed it in the freezer).
5. In 30 minutes, you’ll see it’s starting to firm up at the bottom, and then at the hour mark, it should be completely hardened. See my photos below for examples.
6. After one hour (or when it’s completely solid), remove from the freezer and you’re all done! 🙂 Store in the bathroom or gift it to a friend. You could easily gift this to your mom or another relative, she’ll absolutely love it. Or, just keep it for yourself! 🙂
Step by Step Photos!
How to Use Easy, Homemade Vegan Body Butter:
You can use this body butter as a lotion, a hand cream (my favorite way), a deep conditioning mask for your hair, or as a shaving cream. Once you rub it in, it will turn into a creamy, oily spread just like coconut oil does when you apply it. It quickly absorbs into the skin and would also make an excellent after-sun treatment this summer. Except this one smells like chocolate, and in my body butter’s case, peppermint chocolate! 🙂
Every time I apply this body butter, I get an instant mood boost. And you know what? This was one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever made, probably because it wasn’t just easy but was also the first natural beauty product I’ve ever made for myself.
And I just love that I know exactly what’s in it. How cool is that!
Another Skin-Friendly Find I’m Loving Lately…
Something else that I’ve been loving lately to use in my natural home and skincare routine is a new laundry detergent I bought this month.
It’s a brand new product out by my family’s favorite detergent brand, all®. I’ve been using some products by all® for several years now and their products have always agreed with my sensitive skin, along with my family’s.
The NEW sulfate free all® fresh clean ESSENTIALS® delivers a powerful clean without harshness and doesn’t irritate my skin in the least little bit. I also love that it’s sulfate-free, but that’s not the only reason that I have decided to make this product a regular in my natural home routine.
Sulfate free all® fresh clean ESSENTIALS® is also completely safe for people of all ages, including kids and adults alike, so it’s family friendly and great to keep around the house. It’s also safe to use in all washing machines too.
3 Reasons I love all® fresh clean ESSENTIALS® sulfate free:
1. The new sulfate-free formula by all® infuses fabrics with essential, proven and effective ingredients for deep cleaning and stain lifting even on the toughest stains. I love this feature since so many of my clothes are full of stains made in the kitchen. Surprised? 🙂
2. It also includes the exact ingredients on the back of the bottle so I know what ingredients are going into me and my family’s laundry. It’s also one of the first laundry products to list the ingredients on the product so consumers know exactly what the ingredients are and why they’re essentials.
3. The new sulfate free ESSENTIALS® line by all® is also available at Walmart (where I shop on a weekly basis) and they carry both a fragrance-free and a fresh scent option in 36.4oz/28ld sizes. I chose the fragrance-free option since I’m sensitive to certain fragrances and just love it!
Between this laundry detergent coming out and my newly discovered Easy, Homemade Vegan Body Butter recipe, I feel like my skin care (and beauty) routine has gotten a real treat this month without any sacrifice being made to my budget or my schedule.
The great thing is, it’s not hard to take care of your skin or rehaul the products you keep around the house for you and your family. It just takes a little looking around and experimenting, that’s all. I have found it quite simple in my home, and my family has even gotten on board with it too.
I hope you’re all able to give my body butter recipe a shot, I think you’ll love it!
- 1 cup of raw virgin coconut oil (preferably organic)
- 1 cup of raw cacao butter (normally comes in chunks or circular shapes)
- 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil (I used--and highly recommend--peppermint)
- a 16- ounce mason jar
- Gather your ingredients
- Grab a pot and add in the coconut oil and raw cacao butter. Turn the heat to high and grab a wooden spoon. Stir the entire time it's melting (this goes quickly). If the cacao butter is in large pieces, just keep stirring; it will break down and melt within a few minutes. I had to slightly "chop" my cacao butter a few times with the spoon as it continued to heat up, but it melted and disintegrated within 3 minutes or so (see photos below).
- Once you have a consistent liquid, add in the essential oil drops, stir once more, turn the heat off, and remove the pot from the stove. Immediately pour the mixture (be careful, it's hot!) into the mason jar. It should fill the jar all the way up. Carefully put on the lid and seal it until it's completely closed.
- Now it's time to cool it off so it will set and firm up into a body butter. Grab a towel to handle the jar, then wrap it around the jar so it doesn't burn your hands, and then transport it to the freezer. Put the jar in the freezer (not touching anything directly and at least 6 inches away from anything in the freezer). It won't set at room temperature unless it's really cold where you live because once saturated fats turn to liquid, they need to be cold to firm back up. So leave it in the freezer for one hour (you can remove the towel once you've placed it in the freezer).
- In 30 minutes, you'll see it's starting to firm up at the bottom, and then at the hour mark, it should be completely hardened. Continue to leave it in the freezer for 30 more minutes.
- After one hour (or when it's completely solid), remove from the freezer and you're all done! Store in the bathroom or gift it to a friend. You could easily gift this to your mom or another relative for her birthday or Mother's Day. Or, just keep it for yourself! 🙂
This recipe is perfect to keep around the house no matter what kind of skin needs you have. I’ll definitely be keeping the ingredients on hand all year round so I can make up a batch whenever mine runs out. I can’t wait to experiment with more options in the natural beauty world!
Do any of you make natural beauty products at home from coconut oil or raw cacao butter? I’d love to know, if so!
Also, if you want to try the new all® fresh clean ESSENTIALS® line for yourself, learn more here and be sure to head to your local Walmart where you can find it on the top shelf on the laundry aisle. It has a beautifully designed blue bottle, is easy to spot, and it’s also sold at a great price.
If you want to save a little bit too, you can also download this digital coupon to get $1.50 off one (1) all® fresh clean ESSENTIALS® now through July 31, 2017.
Note: Coupon offer is only valid from May 1st – July 31 OR while supplies last. So don’t miss out!
Have you ever made any homemade beauty or skin products for yourself or your family? If so, what’s your favorite one?