Creamy Coconut Peanut Butter is an easy, homemade spread made with peanut powder, unsweetened coconut shreds, unsweetened non-dairy milk, and that’s it. The result is a thick, creamy spread that can be used just like peanut butter and all you need to make it is a high-speed blender or a food processor!
Did you know that January 24th is National Peanut Butter Day?
No? Well, that’s okay! If you didn’t know, I’ve got a recipe to share with you today that you can make to celebrate one of the most loved foods in the world, even if you’re a little late to the party!
My Inspiration for This Recipe…
In fact, I created this Creamy Coconut Peanut Butter spread this past weekend and couldn’t wait to share it with you this week because it’s honestly one of the most random, spur-of-the-moment recipes I’ve created yet that tasted even better than I had hoped.
And it all started with my
love for obsession with Creamy Coconut Peanut Butter by one of my favorite plant-based brands, Earth Balance (No this is not a sponsored post).
I truly do love Earth Balance’s Creamy Coconut Peanut Butter spread because it’s incredibly light in flavor and easy to digest. But I also wanted to see if I could create my own coconut peanut butter spread at home.
Since I don’t keep whole peanuts on hand—nor do I use oil in my recipes— I knew I had to make my own similar version of Creamy Coconut Peanut Butter using healthy ingredients that I do keep here at home.
Sure, my recipe is not exactly the same as the delicious spread by Earth Balance, but my version is an easy way to make your own version at home, it’s oil-free, it’s still vegan, it has no added sugar, and it tastes more than prettty good, I have to say!
Ingredients for Creamy Coconut Peanut Butter:
Peanut butter powder by Crazy Richards (oil-free, salt-free, and no added sugar!).
Unsweetened non-dairy milk by Silk.
Let’s Do Organic Unsweetened Reduced Fat Coconut Shreds (which are more finely ground than regular shredded coconut).
That’s it! Those are all the ingredients in this recipe and the process of making it takes all of 2 minutes, tops.
The ingredients for this recipe can be blended in a high-speed blender or a food processor to make your own nut butter spread that keeps for one week in the fridge.
Sure, you could just use water and peanut butter powder to make a similar spread, but that wouldn’t give you a super creamy, flavorful spread the way that using non-dairy milk does. And the use of coconut adds an incredibly decadent flavor and a richer mouthfeel plus more fiber, protein, and healthy fats!
Good to Know:
Although, you should know that when you make this recipe, you won’t get that oily, glossy finish that most oil-based peanut butter products contain. So please don’t email me and tell me that you made this and it’s not like normal peanut butter, k? 🙂
BUT, do know that you will get a healthy, lovely thick, dense, and incredibly decadent spread that you can use JUST like peanut butter!
Light, easy-to -digest, maximum peanut butter flavor, and no funny ingredients!
The use of coconut gives this spread a really nice flavor without making it taste like coconut. In fact, this spread tastes just like peanut butter and can be made without coconut shreds, if you choose.
Just a handful of ways to use Creamy Coconut Peanut Butter:
Eat it by the spoonful for a quick energy boost and a dose of protein and fiber!
Use it in a smoothie.
Use it in a recipe that calls for peanut butter (like these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Raisin Cookies!).
Spread it on whole grain or sprouted grain bread.
Slather it on an apple, whole grain or gluten-free crackers, vegan waffles or pancakes, or on toast.
Dip celery, carrots, or your favorite veggie (or fruit) into it.
Add it to oatmeal.
Grab a spoon and eat it out of the jar—I promise, I won’t tell!:)
TIP: Just be sure you keep this scrumptious littler jar of Creamy Coconut Peanut Butter in the fridge and eat it within a week. After all, it contains no preservatives and contains non-dairy milk, so that means it will spoil at room temps if left out.
- 1 1/4 cup of plain peanut powder (I used Crazy Richard's Pure Peanut Powder which is free of sugar and salt)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut shreds (I used Let's Do Organic Finely Shredded/Reduced Fat Shredded Coconut)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk, but you could also use unsweetened soy, cashew, coconut, oat, hemp, or rice milk too)
- Add all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender or a food processor (I used my mini Blendtec Twister jar for this recipe).
- Blend/process until you get a thick, dense and creamy spread. It will be quite thick, but should not be lumpy. Depending on the machine that you use, you may need to add a touch of water or more unsweetened non-dairy milk to get it to the consistency you need.
- Use any way that you use peanut powder!
- 1. You can sweeten this recipe if you choose by adding 1 tbsp. of your choice of a liquid, natural sweetener to the recipe, or you can use 1/2 tsp. pure stevia. I chose not to sweeten this recipe, however, and it tasted absolutely awesome. Do what works for you!
- 2. Use within one week and keep this in the fridge since it does contain opened non-dairy milk and will spoil if used any later than that. Split the recipe in half if needed or double for more servings.
- 3. If you prefer a more oily, glossy spread that resembles store-bought peanut butter, add 1 teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil or 1 tablespoon of regular peanut butter to the recipe to make it a little oilier in texture.
Nutritional Benefits of This Recipe:
Healthy Monounsaturated Fats (good for your heart and brain!)
B vitamins (especially Niacin)
Want more recipes like this one? Subscribe to my newsletter below for more free recipes, updates on new posts, information about plant-based nutrition, and fun giveaways from time-to-time. Thanks for joining along! 🙂