Kiss your stress and pain goodbye with this naturally sweet, filling, and creamy, Anti-Inflammatory Winter Glow Smoothie that’s great for your skin, mood, and your heart too!
I don’t know about all of you, but I’m always looking for ways to kiss stress goodbye—especially when it involves something creamy and naturally sweet to start my day off with…
And let’s face it, stress can be rampant during this time of year, despite that many of us love the holidays and the perks of starting a whole new year.
Winter can also take a toll on your joints, skin, and can wreak havoc on your mood. Which means it’s time for some serious skin-loving, anti-stress, and anti-inflammatory goodness in your day!
I created this smoothie to do three things (besides taste delicious!):
- Improve the skin with vitamin C-rich foods and collagen-boosting ingredients
- Reduce stress levels with ample amounts of vitamin C, mood-boosting ingredients, plant-based protein, and probiotics
- Eliminate inflammation with plant-based ingredients such as vitamin C-rich fruits, plant-based protein, and special spices such as ginger
The all-star ingredient of this smoothie recipe is one of my favorite probiotics from UP4. I truly love using UP4 probiotics because this brand contains a special strain known as DDS-1 that’s incredibly powerful at improving digestion, immunity—and in my experience— enhancing the appearance of skin, too. (See more about UP4 in this post here where I share all the details and why I love them so much.)
One of the latest UP4 probiotics to be released is their new Heart Health probiotic which contains a special strain proven to support healthy cholesterol levels and improve heart health. It also supports digestive and immune system function like all of the other products by UP4.
It’s incredibly easy to add probiotics to smoothies by just opening up the capsule and tossing in the powder contents of the probiotic (you can just discard the outer capsule). This can make them easier for your body to absorb since they enter the digestive tract more quickly.
What I also love about this smoothie is that it contains so many naturally tasty ingredients that you don’t need to add ANY sweetener whatsoever.
I saw some mini bananas at the store this week and just couldn’t resist buying them, but you could easily use 1/2 a regular banana if you don’t have a mini one on hand.
Bananas are also great to reduce stress levels since they contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, and are rich in the amino acid, tryptophan, which naturally lowers stress levels. I don’t use bananas a lot in smoothies since I feel like they’re used way too often in most smoothie recipes, but they do go perfectly in this smoothie and don’t overpower the taste of the rest of the ingredients.
TIP: Just be sure your banana is super brown and spotted which means it’s ripe, easier to digest, and actually higher in nutrition than unripened bananas.
This smoothie also contains:
- Pineapple – One cup of pineapple has over 100% of your daily vitamin C needs and contains digestive enzymes that aid in digestion for optimal gut health. Pineapple is also an incredible anti-inflammatory food since it helps relieve muscle pain and breaks down protein in the body.
- Peaches – These lovely fruits are one of the best sources of Vitamin C and are rich in prebiotic properties to nourish your gut by supporting the growth of good bacteria. Peaches are also a good source of beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body. Beta-carotene is also an important antioxidant that fights cancer and supports skin health.
- Mango – The mango is another one of the best sources of vitamin C; it even contains natural pre-biotic properties for optimal gut health, too. Mango is another great source of beta-carotene and is one of the best foods you can eat to boost the radiance of your skin!
- Ginger – This spice is a superfood that’s rich in digestion-enhancing and immunity-boosting properties that can help relieve muscle pain, nausea, cramping, and even headaches. Ginger also gives this smoothie a warming, slightly spicy flavor that goes perfectly with the sweetness of the fruit!
I also added an extra boost of vitamin C to this smoothie with one of my favorite, must-have superfoods I keep on hand all year round, but especially during winter: camu camu powder.
Camu Camu is an incredible berry superfood that’s sold as a powder in the United States. It contains powerful anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, stress-reducing, and beauty-enhancing goodness!
I especially love camu camu powder because it’s the highest source of vitamin C on the planet, and it has a naturally sweet and tangy flavor with absolutely NO sugar whatsoever.
I add a teaspoon of camu camu powder to my smoothies every single day, and it goes perfectly with the other ingredients in this Anti-Inflammatory Winter Glow Smoothie recipe. Although it’s an optional ingredient, I highly recommend trying it if you haven’t already. Camu camu can help clear the skin, ease stress and tension, and it gives a bright and beautiful appearance to the skin due to its high vitamin C content and natural anti-viral and anti-inflammatory attributes.
Finally, I included a little non-dairy milk (any kind will work, but choose unsweetened as the best option). You could also include some vanilla plant-based protein in here too, I recommend going with Vega which is by far the best out there if you ask me!
Feel free to change up the ingredients of this recipe if you like, but I highly suggest trying this smoothie as it is; it’s one of my favorite ways to start my day! 🙂
- 2 cups of frozen tropical fruit (I used a mix of pineapple, peaches, and mango)
- 1 scoop of vanilla plant-based protein/superfood powder - (I recommend Vega's vanilla or natural varieties)
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla non-dairy (plant-based) milk - (I used Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk )
- 1 ripe, mini banana or 1/2 a regular ripe banana (fresh or frozen is fine)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ginger (depending on how strong you want it)
- contents of 1 vegan probiotic capsule (I love UP4 brand which is vegan)
- optional but recommended: 1 tsp. camu camu berry powder
- a sprinkle of your choice nuts or seeds, I used Let's Do Organic reduced fat coconut shreds
- Add the frozen fruit to a high-speed blender, and then add in the non-dairy milk, banana, and the ginger.
- Next, open up the probiotic capsule by twisting the capsule apart over the blender. Empty out the powder that falls out into the blender with the other ingredients and discard the outer capsule.
- Now add in the camu camu berry powder if using and secure the blender lid.
- Blend on low, then progress to high. If you have a Vitamix like I used, please use the tamper. If you don't have a high-speed blender, you may need to add up to 1/2 cup very cold water to help it blend more easily.
- When you have a creamy, thick, and frosty consistency, scoop/pour the smoothie with a spatula into two smoothie glasses.*
- Sprinkle with some shredded coconut or your choice nuts and seeds for a final topping and dose of healthy fats. Flax, chia, hemp, almonds, pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds would all be great here!
- Serve and enjoy!
- *You can save 1/2 of this smoothie for later in a plastic or glass container and freeze for a mini ice cream dessert later, or you can just make 1/2 a recipe for one serving by reducing the ingredients by 1/2. Or, share this smoothie with a friend!
- *Want it more nutritious? Add a cup of loose-leaf spinach for a dose of green goodness! 🙂
Give this smoothie a try for a boost of nutrition and anti-inflammatory power, and also be sure to give UP4 Probiotics a try if you haven’t already. You can buy them online since they’re shelf-stable, or you can find them at your local Target.
You can also check out more of my smoothie recipes here!