Kiss your stress and pain goodbye with this naturally sweet, filling, and creamy, Anti-Inflammatory Winter Glow Smoothie that’s great for your skin, mood, and your heart too!
I don’t know about all of you, but I’m always looking for ways to kiss stress goodbye—especially when it involves something creamy and naturally sweet to start my day off with…
And let’s face it, stress can be rampant during this time of year, despite that many of us love the holidays and the perks of starting a whole new year.
Winter can also take a toll on your joints, skin, and can wreak havoc on your mood. Which means it’s time for some serious skin-loving, anti-stress, and anti-inflammatory goodness in your day!
I created this smoothie to do three things (besides taste delicious!):
- Improve the skin with vitamin C-rich foods and collagen-boosting ingredients
- Reduce stress levels with ample amounts of vitamin C, mood-boosting ingredients, plant-based protein, and probiotics
- Eliminate inflammation with plant-based ingredients such as vitamin C-rich fruits, plant-based protein, and special spices such as ginger
The all-star ingredient of this smoothie recipe is one of my favorite probiotics from UP4. I truly love using UP4 probiotics because this brand contains a special strain known as DDS-1 that’s incredibly powerful at improving digestion, immunity—and in my experience— enhancing the appearance of skin too. (See more about UP4 in this post here.)
One of the latest UP4 probiotics to be released is their new Heart Health probiotic which contains a special strain proven to support healthy cholesterol levels and improve heart health. It also supports digestive and immune system function like all of the other products by UP4.
It’s incredibly easy to add probiotics to smoothies by just opening up the capsule and tossing in the powder contents of the probiotic (you can just discard the outer capsule). This can make them easier for your body to absorb since they enter the digestive tract more quickly.
What I also love about this smoothie is that it contains so many naturally tasty ingredients that you don’t need to add ANY sweetener whatsoever.
I saw some mini bananas at the store this week and just couldn’t resist buying them, but you could easily use 1/2 a regular banana if you don’t have a mini one on hand.
Bananas are also great to reduce stress levels since they contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, and are rich in the amino acid, tryptophan, which naturally lowers stress levels. I don’t use bananas a lot in smoothies since I feel like they’re used way too often in most smoothie recipes, but they do go perfectly in this smoothie and don’t overpower the taste of the rest of the ingredients.
TIP: Just be sure your banana is super brown and spotted which means it’s ripe, easier to digest, and actually higher in nutrition than unripened bananas.
This smoothie also contains:
- Pineapple – 1 cup of pineapple has over 100% of your daily vitamin C needs and contains digestive enzymes that aid in digestion for optimal gut health
- Peaches – are one of the best sources of vitamin C and are rich in prebiotic properties to nourish your gut by supporting the growth of good bacteria
- Mango – one of the best sources of vitamin C, contains natural prebiotic properties for optimal gut health, rich in beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A in the body for a healthy immune system and beautiful skin, and one of the best foods you can eat to boost the radiance of your skin!
- Ginger – a superfood spice that’s rich in digestion-enhancing and immunity-boosting properties that can help relieve muscle pain, nausea, cramping, and even headaches! Ginger also gives this smoothie a warming, slightly spicy flavor that goes perfectly with the sweetness of the fruit!
I also added an extra boost of vitamin C to this smoothie with one of my favorite, must-have superfoods I keep on hand all year round, but especially during winter: camu camu powder.
Camu Camu is an incredible berry superfood that’s sold as a powder in the United States. It contains powerful anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, stress-reducing, and beauty-enhancing goodness!
I especially love camu camu powder because it’s the highest source of vitamin C on the planet, and it has a naturally sweet and tangy flavor with absolutely NO sugar whatsoever.
I add a teaspoon of this tasty superfood powder to my smoothies every single day, and it goes perfectly with the other ingredients in this smoothie recipe. Although it’s optional, I highly recommend trying it if you haven’t already. It can give your skin the best glow and reduce breakouts within no time, trust me!
Finally, I included a little non-dairy milk and some raw, plant-based protein from Garden of Life. for the remaining ingredients of this smoothie.
I love Garden of Life’s vanilla Raw Organic Meal which is made with real, raw vanilla beans, powdered greens and superfoods, and nothing else but real, raw plant-based ingredients. It tastes fantastic!
The protein and food-based vitamins and minerals that are found in Raw Organic Meal will also help reduce the glycemic impact of the fruits in this smoothie, and it will give the blend more staying power to help keep you fuller longer. Plus, plant-based sources of protein help to reduce inflammation, improve blood sugar levels, and reduce stress levels for even more benefits.
Feel free to change up the ingredients of this recipe if you like, but I highly suggest trying this smoothie as it is; it’s one of my favorite ways to start my day! 🙂
- 2 cups of frozen tropical fruit (I used a mix of pineapple, peaches, and mango)
- 1 scoop of vanilla plant-based protein/superfood powder - (I used Garden of Life Organic Raw Meal in the vanilla flavor)
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla non-dairy (plant-based) milk - (I used Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk )
- 1 ripe, mini banana or 1/2 a regular ripe banana (fresh or frozen is fine)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ginger (depending on how strong you want it)
- contents of 1 probiotic capsule (I used UP4 Heart Health Probiotic)
- optional but recommended: 1 tsp. camu camu berry powder
- a sprinkle of your choice nuts or seeds, I used Let's Do Organic reduced fat coconut shreds
- Add the frozen fruit to a high-speed blender, and then add in the non-dairy milk, banana, and the ginger.
- Next, open up the probiotic capsule by twisting the capsule apart over the blender. Empty out the powder that falls out into the blender with the other ingredients and discard the outer capsule.
- Now add in the camu camu berry powder if using and secure the blender lid.
- Blend on low, then progress to high. If you have a Vitamix like I used, please use the tamper. If you don't have a high-speed blender, you may need to add up to 1/2 cup very cold water to help it blend more easily.
- When you have a creamy, thick, and frosty consistency, scoop/pour the smoothie with a spatula into two smoothie glasses.*
- Sprinkle with some shredded coconut or your choice nuts and seeds for a final topping and dose of healthy fats. Flax, chia, hemp, almonds, pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds would all be great here!
- Serve and enjoy!
- *You can save 1/2 of this smoothie for later in a plastic or glass container and freeze for a mini ice cream dessert later, or you can just make 1/2 a recipe for one serving by reducing the ingredients by 1/2. Or, share this smoothie with a friend!
- *Want it more nutritious? Add a cup of loose-leaf spinach for a dose of green goodness! 🙂
Definitely give this smoothie a try for a boost of winter goodness, and give UP4 probiotics a try if you haven’t already. You can buy them online since they’re shelf-stable, or you can find them at your local Target.
You can also check out more of my smoothie recipes here.