Welcome to The Soulful Spoon!
I am so glad you are here!
My name is Heather McClees, and I’m a certified nutritionist from SC who is passionate about inspiring others to embrace natural health. I also love creating easy, delicious sugar-free recipes for others to enjoy along the way.
A Little About Me and How I Got Here:
Eleven years ago I began my health journey that started by dealing with a nasty sugar addiction, autoimmune disease, epilepsy, and clinical depression by discovering the power of natural health and real food. Like many other people back then, I ate the Standard American Diet and was treated for illnesses with nothing but pharmaceutical drugs that got me nowhere. Knowing nothing about health at that time, I started my own path and discovered an immense passion for real food nutrition, fitness, natural health options, and the power of the body to heal itself.
Later I received my B.S. in Nutrition Science and Dietetics after being a former journalism major, attended the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, and now I’m a plant-based nutritionist and professional writer on nutrition and health.
That is why I created The Soulful Spoon—to inspire others to embrace natural health, to eat plentiful amounts of plant-based whole foods, and to enjoy every single minute of it by eating healthy and easy, delicious recipes!
About My Recipes:
My recipes are always inspired by real, whole, plant-based food with a creative twist. I love to make food fun, easy, but also good for you too!
I also want to inspire others to start (or continue) experimenting with whole plant foods in the kitchen and to learn to love real food in creative and tasty ways.
I am personally a whole foods plant-based foodie, so my recipes are free of added sugar, added oil, and they are all plant-based. Many are also gluten-free (although I am not). My goal is to show people how delicious plant-based eating can be that’s also doable and simple at the same time.
You can see all my recipes right here!
But this blog is not just a recipe blog; it’s also a blog dedicated to seeing food as more than just calories and about embracing all sides of wellness!
For those of you who don’t know me personally yet, here are some quick facts…
Fast Facts to Know Me Better
- I’m a 32-year-old southerner with a creative spirit and an old soul who loves to write, create, and share things with others.
- I graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition Science and Dietetics and am a certified nutritionist who creates healthy recipes to share here on The Soulful Spoon as well as offers nutritional consulting services. I am also a freelance writer and journalist junkie.
- One of my favorite memories is being in the kitchen with my mom as a child and going to the grocery store with her every single week. My love for food, shopping for food and preparing food is all thanks to her!
- I love chocolate as much as I love kale and have a slight obsession with oatmeal/porridge, smoothies, and my blender(s).
- My favorite way to move my body is long walks, hikes, yoga, and Pilates. I consider fitness the most powerful form of medicine for my brain and body outside of healthy food!
- I’m a former model who abandoned the fashion industry at age 22 to pursue her true loves of healthy living, writing and spreading the message about health and nutrition.
- I have been a writer since age 7 when I began writing my own books as a hobby.
- I quit sugar in 2004 to get rid of epilepsy and have been living without sugar, medication, and doctor visits ever since. I haven’t been to the doctor in over 10 years thanks to my healthy lifestyle.
- I’m a huge animal lover and health nerd—and very proud of both! 🙂
- I’m in love with discovering new ways to make healthy recipes, plant-based cookbooks, discovering new foods and healthy products, learning about nutrition and the human body, fitness, reading, animals, yoga, trips to the N.C. mountains and New York City, fall, winter, and most all forms of music (but no dirty language, please!) 🙂
- I have a self-proclaimed fascination with food trivia, cookbooks, grocery shopping, the news, and a mad addiction to kitchenware.
- I have studied nutrition for 11 years and hold a degree in Nutrition Science and Dietetics with a minor in Journalism and Fine Arts. I am currently a writer, recipe developer, and blogger in the fields of health and nutrition.
- My birthday is New Year’s Eve.
- My favorite foods as a child and teen were ice cream, buttered biscuits, any sort of cookies, nachos, Pop Tarts coated with sugary peanut butter, fried chicken, yeast rolls, and fast food milkshakes. Today my favorite foods are foods are smoothies and smoothie bowls, lots of veggies and greens, coconut, superfoods, pumpkin, oatmeal/porridge, natural peanut butter, hearty veggie soups, berries, apples, and of course, dark chocolate!
- I’ve written for many major online websites as a health and food writer, been an editorial assistant at a New York Times-owned newspaper in my area, am a former model, and used to be a United Way public spokesperson on health and child abuse prevention and awareness. I also currently serve as a freelance writer for various health sites, food companies, and write nutrition-focused content for a variety of businesses. If you’re interested in collaborating and working with me, please contact me so we can connect—I’d love to hear from you!
- My favorite words of inspiration I love to share with others are Philippians 4:13, Proverbs 4:23, Genesis 1:29, and Psalm 27:14 from the Bible.
- You can also read a bit more about me and my health journey here.